Myths that Cause Crime
- Crime is increasing.
- Most crime is committed by the poor.
- Some groups are more law-abiding than others.
- White-collar crime is nonviolent.
- Regulatory agencies prevent white-collar crime.
- Rich and poor are equal before the law.
- Drug use can be ended by police efforts.
- Community corrections is a viable alternative.
- The punishment can fit the crime.
- Law makes people behave.
Myths That Cause Crime, by Hal Pepinsky and Paul Jesilow.
This textbook, winner of the 1986 ACJS Outstanding Book Award, has been provided by the authors.
Oldie, but a goodie. Really a head of its time.
Download it for free here.